Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years of experience
77476456

I would like to know permits required truck business in

Customer Question

I would like to know permits required for food truck business in Houston, TX. What kind of permits are required and how can I get those ? Thanks Jay
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Gerald, Esq replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow up questions you have.
I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.
Houston City Department of Health require that you obtain a "Mobile Food Service" permit (or medallion) if you wish to sell food of of a "Mobile Food Unit."
There are two types of permits:
1) Restricted. A restricted mobile food unit serves only food that is prepared and pre-packaged in individual servings at an approved commissary.
If you sell this type of product you only need the Mobile Food Service Medallion. The cost is $200.00 per unit.
2) Unrestricted. An Unrestricted mobile food unit sells food that is prepared within the unit. In addition to the Medallion, you also need a Food Dealer's permit, which is another $200.00; Plus an inspection plan, which is $50.00.
Detailed information on the types of mobile units, permits, and other regulations can be found here:
http://www.houstontx.gov/health/Food/MOBILEREQ.html
You can contact the Department of Health here:
Contact the Department
Houston Health Department (HHD)
8000 North Stadium Drive, Houston, TX 77054
Phone:(###) ###-####
Food Establishment Permits (###) ###-####
I hope the information I have provided is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow up questions, feel free to ask. Please note that I am generally unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.
Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but it helps me greatly. Thank you.
If you are dissatisfied with my response PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you and only ask the same from you.
Good luck.
Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.