Alex Esquire
Alex Esquire, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney
26296561

I am a psychologist in a small office space where I see all

Customer Question

Hello, I am a psychologist in a small office space where I see all my patients in one room as well as it is my office. Not only I am allergic to dogs I also have a phobia. Other patients has complaint that they have dog allergies and does not like to come to my office after a patient with their service dog was just seen. I do try to have the pt w/service dog be my last patient of the day but this does not always work. Can I refer the pt to another provider or will the pt file a complaint on me? Do I have any rights? thank you, Susan
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Alex Esquire replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to answer your question.
I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.
While I cannot comment on your specific situation, generally, medical professionals, such as doctors and psychologists are not indentured servants and have the right at their own sole discretion to decide which patient to provide their services to and are free to terminate their professional relationship with any patient at will and without any explanation.
I wish you the best of luck!
Please let me know if you have any related follow up questions?
If not, please positively rate and accept my answer, so I can be compensated for my work.
Thank you.