Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney
26798026

I had my boyfriend put my car in s name because my license

Customer Question

I had my boyfriend put my car in his name because my license is suspended. I gave him the cash 12.500 in front of the dealership man and also told them why we werre doing this. Our agreement was i would own and drive the car not him. We broke up and now he is trying to take it can i file a lein or what can i do
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.
There is unfortunately no right to place a lien without a written agreement where you reserve that right. However, if the agreement was that the car would belong to you, then you can sue for breach of contract if he takes it. You could either seek the value of the car (which means he might prefer to give it back rather than giving you cash), or you can ask a judge to order him to sign the title over to you, based on your agreement. The cash is easier for most people, but I understand if you'd rather have the car.
The problem is, with his name on it, if you refuse to let him take the car, you run the risk that he will report it stolen, which will cause more problems for you.
You do need to be able to establish that the $12,500 you gave him was not a gift. If you handed over the cash at the dealership, that could help, depending on what was said. Any old text messages or emails discussing the situation can also help.
Another option is to have a local attorney send him a demand letter, insisting that he sign the title to avoid a lawsuit, and see if that convinces him to do the right thing.
If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.