Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Run my own successful business/contract law practice.
18572087

Is it legal company to use it's employees or agents to

Customer Question

Is it legal for a company to use it's employees or agents to the company to spy on an employee accessing files from their home and personal computer? Who has the right to do this while also sabotaging the employees performance?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I am a licensed Pennsylvania professional and will be happy to assist you with your concerns.

Since the files belong to the company, the company is free to safeguard the files as they deem fit. That can include 'spying' on employees who have access to the files--it is not seen as spying because there is no inherent expectation or a right to privacy when the files do not belong to the employee. Since the files being accessed belong to the company, and if the employee has no inherent right to access, the company can employ their own methods to track and trace such behavior. I cannot comment on 'sabotage' as I do not see anything in your facts that point to such actions, but as far as keep track of access especially off business site, the company is absolutely free to do so.

Sincerely,

Dimitry, Esq.