Ely, Attorney
Experience:  Counselor at Law.
7286322

Do I need to notify anyone to conduct a raffle non profit?

Customer Question

Do I need to notify anyone to conduct a raffle for my non profit?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (A) This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms; and (B) the site allows experts to opt out of participation in phone calls and I may or may not be able to participate in this feature.
What state is this in, please?
This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We are incorporated in South Dakota. Would be using www.rafflecreator.com to host the raffle. Sell tickets for $20 a piece for a chance to win 1,000 rounds of rifle ammo.
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.
While a non-profit in SD is allowed to run a raffle, and there is no need to specifically notify any agency ahead of time, it would be wise to review all requirements to ensure that the raffle is within the legal limits - see here:
http://www.gambling-law-us.com/Charitable-Gaming/South-Dakota/
NOTE that because one is raffling ammo, special care should be taken that minors do not enter the raffle.
I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please rate when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.