Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
10285032

I manage a store/gas station in Chantilly Va. and the owner

Customer Question

Hello I manage a store/gas station in Chantilly Va. and the owner has told me that he was told it is illegal to have his pumps turned on during the hours the store is closed, he told me we have to turn off the pumps at night can you help me to find out if this is indeed true or is someone just messing with him.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

There is no law in VA or federal law that states the pumps must be turned off when the station is closed, but the station owner can be civilly liable for any damages that occur if the pumps are on when nobody is there and that could lead to the insurance refusing coverage. So it is solely up to the owner to turn off the pumps or lock them, there is no federal or VA law mandating they be turned off and a lot of times people will say something is "illegal" because they want someone to do what they say and do not want to explain why.