Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
10285032

Do you have the necessary forms to file a provisional

Customer Question

Do you have the necessary forms for us to file a provisional patent? I think we'll probably want to use an attorney for the final filing if we feel that we should go that far.
Incidentally, I have used your services before, but I don't believe we are currently subscribed with your firm.
Terry Lush
Category: Business Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Since contacting you, I have downloaded the provisional patent application form, a provisional patent application template.and have determined that we are a micro entity. Do you believe that I should just research this on my own right now, or is there some good advice that justanswer can provide to make this easier or more effective for me?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Playing with patents is not typically easy, because if you make any mistakes and have to refile, you have to pay fees all over again and the initial fees are lost.
As far as writing your own provisional application, you can do that to try to save some money, but before you submit it you should have it reviewed by your local patent attorney. There should always be a patent attorney involved, especially since a patent search needs to be done before submitting to make sure you are not infringing on any other patents.
So, do your own research for now, get the application written as detailed as you can. Then bring it to the local patent attorney, which would significantly reduce your costs in getting the application filed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is the review and search a service that you or Just Answer provides, and if so can you give me a rough idea of cost? A range would be fine, with an assumption that I would do the initial preparation. I don't believe that we have a local patent attorney on San Juan Island, though I will check.
Thank you for your reply.
Review and search is well outside of the scope of our services, as it can take several weeks and these patent searches require specific expertise in the area of the patent and will typically cost $4000 or more, patents are really not cheap because of the cost of the database services as well. However, you have to use a local patent attorney and not an online patent service (most of those are scams) to insure you are protected and nobody takes your ideas.
You can find a patent attorney in Seattle or elsewhere in WA to assist at the same sites used by other attorneys, http://www.hg.org or http://www.lexmundi.com