Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Run my own successful business/contract law practice.
18572087

I applied to a job on Craigslist. Some guy replied later

Customer Question

I applied to a job on Craigslist. Some guy replied later asking if I wanted to decal my car and drive for money each week. It was a sizable sum so I agreed but they sent a large check in the mail from a Utah address and then want me to wire part of the amount to a woman in Wisconsin after taking out my cut. I feel as if this is sketchy and I don't want to be part of an ileegal scheme. However I've already cashed the check, what should I do? Also I never signed any contract.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

How long ago did you cash the check? This is very, very important!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Less than 24 hours
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But I've already used some of my wage portion

Return the funds immediately, contact your bank and inform them that this is a fraudulent transaction. (As this is fraudulent). The way this fraud takes place is that it first appears that this 'large' amount hits your account. What you do not know is that the other side recalls the funds. The funds disappear from your account after you spent them, or sent them on their way. You are now responsible for replacing the funds plus costs of writing bad checks, plus check fraud and money laundering, which are criminal offenses that the bank can pursue against you. Please call them immediately and stop this check, and return whatever funds you spent since you will be responsible for them once that check bounces.

There is no wage portion, this is money laundering, pure and simple. If you are being asked to deposit large amounts into your account, there is absolutely no rational business purpose for doing so, this is done to bounce the funds and make innocent victims such as yourself responsible for the full amount.

Sincerely,

Dimitry, Esq.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I cashed it on my cell phone and it shows up as a good check in my account if I keep it its not money laundering right because I never transferred it

No, it is still money laundering because you have no business receiving such amounts. That is what 'money laundering' is, it is improper transactions in banking and receipts of funds with no good reason behind it. And since this amount WILL bounce, you will be responsible for it.

Sincerely

Dimitry, Esq.

Please let me know if I can assist you further, thank you!