MDLaw
MDLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Experience in business law, contract law and related matters.
16277701

I have a business where I shop online and in retail stores

Customer Question

I have a business where I shop online and in retail stores looking for the best price items. I then buy the items and sell them online. Recently I noticed that retailers are starting to block my transactions. For example, on one retail site it says the transaction could not complete because of credit card issues. I tried 5 different cards and they all did not work. I call the credit card companies they said they never saw the authorization. I called the retailer and they said they don't know. Can a retail store prevent me from shopping in their stores or online?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  MDLaw replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for using the Just Answer website. I look forward to assisting you today.As retail arbitrage has become more popular, many retailers are blocking customers who they perceive (either correctly or incorrectly) as being resellers. Legally, they have the right to prohibit anyone from shopping with them so long as they are not discriminating on the basis of race or national origin or disability, etc. Unfortunately, many resellers will try to return items that don't sell and that is what causes the red flag and ends up hurting those who do not abuse the store's return policies. Some retailers that have been doing this lately include Kohl's and Target. Coach has been doing it for many years. Please let me know if this has answered your question. If it has, please be so kind as to leave a positive rating as that is the only way that we experts on Just Answer get credited for the time spent assisting you and researching and answering your question. If, however, you need additional information, please simply reply back to me and we can continue our conversation. Thank you in advance for allowing me to assist you.