Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco, Attorney
Experience:  Helping you with your legal questions.
68302747

I filed a mechanics lien on a property after I

Customer Question

hello,, I filed a mechanics lien on a property after I remodeled it. I found out they transferred the deed to the property as soon as I was complete and before I filed the lien. I have a contract. Can you tell me how this changes the lien and explain how
I foreclose on the home.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Damien Bosco replied 1 year ago.
It does not change the lien. A Mechanic's lien attaches to the property. A transfer of the deed does not negate the lien. If you attempted to foreclose, you would foreclose against the new name on the deed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok. would the property have to be sold or would I just take possession?
Most likely it would have to be sold because your lien would be less than the value of the property.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok so just to be sure I file a statement of lien with the probate court first. then do I sue to have the mechanics lien enforced or do I go straight to foreclosure lien?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The initial question asked to explain the process of foreclosure and the last question has not been answered. please answer