Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

Iam a contractor who had a verbal agreement with a customer, to prefor

Customer Question

Iam a contractor who had a verbal agreement with a customer, to preform a bathroom renovation. I sent the proposal and she called me back the following day telling me " we have decided to go with you" for the bathroom. I then had approximately 20 email exchanges back and fourth discussing, advising, counseling her through the entire pre renovation process. I scheduled the job with her approximately 2 weeks ago which I have email documentation of. She recently decided to not use me one week prior to the start date of the project. While I have no signed contract, I did provided a fully detailed proposal with rights of recession. She then had approximately 20 emails back and forth with me as well as had me do a tile calculation, review all of her orders before submitting them, give different ideas and designs, etc.
Do I have any case for the lost wages on this situation. I have pushed back a number of other serious jobs to schedule her bathroom and now I have 2 weeks of no wor
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.
If you did not have her sign the proposal, you do not have a case against her. You have no enforceable contract here. Also, you may not use the implied contract theory of unjust enrichment to go after her since you have not started the actual job for which you had the verbal agreement.