Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  16 years practicing attorney, JD, BA, MBA
19958803

I am planning on starting my piano tuning and servicing business

Customer Question

I am planning on starting my piano tuning and servicing business in Washington state (no other employees) and not sure whether to do sole proprietorship or LLC ?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is Barrister and I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can..If you are concerned about potential liability, then an LLC will provide protection from you being sued personally if something were to happen to someone's piano and they decided to sue. An LLC provides a legal entity that is separate from the individual so if services were provided by the LLC, then only the LLC could be sued for damages if something went wrong. A sole proprietorship provides no protection whatsoever for the owner..For tax purposes, in either situation, income funnels down to the owner of the business, be it an LLC or sole proprietorship. You do have to file some paperwork setting up the LLC and an annual report and typically a small filing fee each year, but you gain the protection from personal liability...thanksBarrister