Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Run my own successful business/contract law practice.
18572087

I have a personal judgement against me,can they touch my business

Customer Question

I have a personal judgement against me,can they touch my business which I own 51% of the business please help. Thank you
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns. The answer I will provide will not be favorable so I ask that you do not blame the messenger. Your interest in the business is itself an asset, and that interest can be pursued by the judgment holder. As far as the business itself, it is likewise possible either via obtaining your interest outright, or if they claim 'alter ego' and attempt to pierce the corporate veil, by going after the assets within if they can prove their case. The latter can be quite tough as pierce cases are not automatic and there burden is on them to show behavior that would make it be seen that you and the business are really one and the same. But as far as your actual ownership percentage, that is fair game and it can be pursued against you. Sincerely, ***** *****