Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Run my own successful business/contract law practice.
18572087

My company is having specific goods manufactured overseas (China),

Customer Question

My company is having specific goods manufactured overseas (China), which are then delivered to the buyers freight forwarder in Hong Kong. I send the freight forwarder my USA company invoice, along with a local (Hong Kong) packing list, then the goods are shipped directly to the customers location. We have been doing this for almost 16 years with no problems.
However, the customer is now saying that US Customs considers our invoice as a domestic purchase and is not a valid invoice per their regulations. The customer is now saying that my company must provide the manufacturers name and address on every invoice.
My argument is that (1) the current invoice is meeting Custom requirements, (2) the packing list is written and submitted by a company in Hong Kong to accompany the goods, (3) Both the invoice and each carton of the shipment states "Made in China" and
(4) Since the goods are delivered to the customers freight forwarder in Hong Kong and then shipped by the forwarder directly to the customer factory, it should be obvious that this invoice is a valid paper and should be honored without our having to disclose our manufacturing sources.
Am I correct?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Attorney2020 replied 1 year ago.
Hello
Is the customer providing any authority or document from US Customs supporting its position?