Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
10285032

Can an organization list me on their IRS 990 tax forms as a

Customer Question

Can an organization list me on their IRS 990 tax forms as a Trustee without my verbal or written consent. I have recently discovered I am listed and did NOT give consent
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Written consent is not necessary for someone to be named a Trustee, only to be named a registered agent for service. However, if you do not wish to be a trustee and have been named one, you have a right to submit a written resignation and as such they would have to accept the resignation.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
WoW unbelievable that nonprofits do not have to gain written consent. They also have me listed as volunteering 2hours per week?? Do they need to get consent to do this
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did not volunteer 2hrs per week every year :-)
Thank you for your reply.
I understand that they may be claiming things that are not true or you did not agree to, but there is no law requiring your consent be in writing and I am sure they are going to claim you agreed to all of this verbally and it makes it your word against their word.
You need to send written notice that you wish to be removed as trustee.