Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
10285032

I was getting a renovation job done in my store in

Customer Question

Hi, I was getting a renovation job done in my store in Belmont, Ca94402. I got a permit from the city and hired an architect and a licensed contractor. Things had to be done according to the codes set up by the City. On the final inspection date the contractor and the 3 workers did not turn up in the morning for inspection. The inspector found some serious flaws with the work, which would cost thousands of $s. Instead of rectifying the ruined work they suspended the work and 3 of the workers filed cases for recovery of lost wages of appx. 36 hours each amounting to appx. $650.00 each. I have received 3 notices of $4500.00 each after compounding various overtime, penalties etc. The hearing is on 29th July2015 at San Jose. Appreciate your advice. Thanks , Jay XXXXXX cell: XXX XXX XXXX. XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Category: Business Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seekng for educational purposes only.

If they did not perform proper work, then the contractor is in breach of contract with you and you have a basis to sue him for that breach and cost of all damages and costs of repair. Furthermore, it was the contractor's duty to pay their employees and failure to do so also is a breach of your contract with him and that would be added into your suit against him.

You can file a complaint against him with the state contractor's board. You can also file a civil suit against him in the CA Superior Court for the damages that his negligent work and and breach of contract has caused you to incur.

Those would be your legal options to resolve this matter with the contractor and to get the work properly performed.