Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
10285032

I own an auto repair shop, about a month ago a customer dropped

Customer Question

I own an auto repair shop, about a month ago a customer dropped off a vehicle with rear body damage for repair. I ordered parts, started the repairs and now can not get a hold of the customer. When I did a title search it came back with a different owner , maybe a family member, not sure and can not find out. My question is what are my legal options, can i file a mechanical lien, can i take the owner and the customer to court for the amount do
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

By virtue of you having the car in your possession you have a mechanic's lien. You need to send a letter to the registered owner telling them you have the car in your possession and tell them the name and address and information on the person who brought it in and tell them the cost now due you. You also send the same letter to the person who brought the car in and tell them you have notified the last registered legal owner. Tell them failure to pay you for the car will result in you going to court to file a petition to quiet title and seek ownership to sell the car to cover the money you are due.

The court has to issue an order granting you ownership to change the title in your name to allow you to sell the car to recover your money.

You can also, alternatively, in the same suit, sue the owner and customer both and demand money for payment. So your suit would be to quiet title OR for payment and it is all done in one legal suit against both the registered owner and customer.