Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

Collection Threat

Customer Question

I'm a small C-Corp manager. We've received a letter from a collection agency that says if we don't pay, they'll report deliquency to national credit bureaus. The thing is; the company they represent didn't deliver their solutions, that's why we refuse to pay and we actually asked for a refund of the first quarterly payment we've made. It was a online service with no free trial, we were never able to use many of the features they promised. We have records of emails their customer support didn't get back to us for more than 10 days, and when they did, it was not helpful. There were issues we've been waiting to be resolved for more than a month. We talk about $6000 here. How should we respond to this? I don't want our credit score to be hurt by this nonsense. We deserve a refund for the first $2000 we paid. Please advise.

Here's the full letter:

Category: Business Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello: This isCustomer I am a licensed Attorney and I will be assisting you today.
Response: You need to send a response that you dispute the validity of the debt, that their client did not render the services being billed for and give details of their client's noncompliance with the agreement. You would need a copy of this letter to defend any lawsuit filed by them and to even file counterclaim for services not rendered and refund of money paid.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What the response would look like, in 3-4 sentences?Then, I guess I would just copy/paste our email threads with their staff.
I am sorry, but I cannot draft the dispute for you. It amounts to giving you legal advice, which is prohibited by terms of service.