Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Run my own successful business/contract law practice.
18572087

Is a Lawyer kinda like a Police Officer?

Customer Question

is a Lawyer kinda like a Police Officer?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hi and thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns. No, a lawyer is not like a police officer. A lawyer is an 'officer of the court', meaning that he or she has a duty to uphold the laws and to ensure that legal rights are protected. But a police officer's duty is to keep the peace and to perform such functions on behalf of the government. A lawyer, unless he works for the state, does not work on behalf of the government, and does not perform his functions as an agent for the government. A lawyer can be in private practice (most are), and still be a lawyer, and a police officer cannot be a police officer without reporting to some governmental entity such as a police station or municipality. Sincerely, ***** *****