How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Gerald, Esq Your Own Question
Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Lawyer
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 3441
Experience:  30 years of experience
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
Gerald, Esq is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can a non-dentist own a dental practice in VA. I would like my wife to

Customer Question

can a non-dentist own a dental practice in VA. I would like my wife to be the owner of my practice although she is not a dentist
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Gerald, Esq replied 1 year ago.
Hello,Thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow up questions you have.I am an attorney with 30 years of experience including extenisve experience in the regulation of healthcare professionals. I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question. The short answer is yes, you can structure your practice in such away that your wife may have ownership in it. Like most states the Commonwealth of Virginia has historically wrestled with what is know as the "Corporate Practice of Medicine." The concepts apply equally to Dentistry as it does Medicine. The idea was that since only a licensed professional can engage in the practice only a Dentist may own a practice. Over time the doctrine has been withered away. And in 2003 the General Assembly made changes to the Corporate Code to allow for licensed professionals to work through non-professional corporations as well as through professional corporations. Virginia Code § 13.1-542.1 is specifically titled the “Practice of certain professions by corporations” and subsequently states that “professional services . . . may be rendered in this Commonwealth by” professional and nonprofessional corporations. So for example, if you creeate a limited liability company to hold the practice, your wife may own shares (up to 100%).I hope the information I have provided is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow up questions, feel free to ask. Please note that I am generally unavailable Friday evening through Sunday. Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but it helps me greatly. Thank you.If you are dissatisfied with my response PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you and only ask the same from you.Good luck. Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Related Business Law Questions