CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  I am a businesses law attorney, with experience advising and representing owners and investors.
71563194

I do interior design and I have an issue with someone I know

Customer Question

I do interior design and I have an issue with someone I know slandering my business, and challenging my professional integrity, and alleging that I have a substance abuse problem. This person continues to insist that I am dishonest and that I have stolen
money from the client. This is not true. However, I feel as though I am being unnecessarily attacked and I do not know what to do.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.
You can sue the person for defamation (see: http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/defamation-law-made-simple-29718.html). You are entitled to actual damages as calculated by your loss of business due to this conduct, as well as punitive damages (additional money damages awarded by the court to punish their bad conduct), and injunctive relief, a court order preventing them from making further such statements.
If possible, I would recommend retaining a civil litigation attorney to represent you in this matter. You can find local attorneys using the State Bar Association directory: , or private directories such as www.AVVO.com; www.FindLaw.com; or www.Martindale.com (I personally find www.AVVO.com to be the most user friendly).
Short of filing a lawsuit, you can try to mediate the dispute with them - contact your local bar association and request referrals to mediators, a third party neutral can often help you reach a mutually agreeable resolution. Use the bar association's referrals to contact a mediator or two, the mediator will then contact the other party to set up a mediation session, and you can go from there - hopefully resulting in a formal or written settlement agreement, and save yourself the time and expense of litigation.