Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Run my own successful business/contract law practice.
18572087

I would like to ask what is the standard equity contract

Customer Question

I would like to ask what is the standard equity contract for a new member of a startup team. The startup does not have funding yet, and I was granted 15% equity. Therefore, I just received a Common Stock Grant Agreement for 150 shares. I was told this was the standard practice for startup equity agreements. I'd like to make sure that I'm getting the right deal, and that I shouldn't be asking for anything else or in addition such as preferred or restricted stock. I'd also like to get a clearer understanding of what this contract says - what am I entitled to? What are the restrictions in this contract? Is there anything in particular I should be aware of?
Thank you!
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your post. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.
First of all, there is no such thing as a 'standard' contract for equity, since absolutely every contract is different in some way. If you wish, I can help review the agreement as an additional service and discuss the contract via Skype so that I can best show you what potential concerns may exist. If not, I can just review the contract itself and write down my thoughts below. Please advise.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello,Thank you for your quick response! I've attached the contract here and I'd love to read your thoughts on them.
As this is an additional request, I will first forward you an additional service before I can review it. One moment, please!