Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Run my own successful business/contract law practice.
18572087

I have a dui case pending in Oklahoma. Would I be extradited

Customer Question

I have a dui case pending in Oklahoma. Would I be extradited if I moved to Colorado? I do not want to deal with the oOklahoma legal system.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.
To answer directly, if you have a pending case in Oklahoma, you cannot have a different state review the case, the case MUST be done in Oklahoma. If you fail to appear, then Oklahoma can issue a bench warrant and potentially convict in absentia. There is likely no extradition, but since Oklahoma can suspend your license, and Colorado and Oklahoma share their records, Colorado can suspend your driving privileges as well and if you are caught driving, they can arrest and jail you depending on the offense. Typically bench warrants are not something for which you will be extradited.
Sincerely,
Dimitry, Esq.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So how would I go about making the move? My license is already suspended in Oklahoma. But I'm not worried about that.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is a no bond hold warrant. Does that make a difference?
Thank you for your follow-up.
A 'no bond hold warrant' means that if you are picked up, the courts won't issue a bond or bail and you will sit in jail until the court hearing or until release. As far as moving, unless you are on probation and cannot move out of state, you can simply pack up and leave, but you won't be able to pursue a license in a new state.
Sincerely,
Dimitry, Esq.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
And if I'm on probation, unsupervised?
Then you cannot move out of state, unless you contact the courts and obtain permission to move out. Or you can still contact your probation officer (as there is one still assigned to you), and request permission to move out of state. If the PO agrees, then you are granted permission to do so, and your case is moved to the new state, at least as far as supervision.
Sincerely,
Dimitry, Esq.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So if I moved without contacting anybody, and was arrested, they would extradite me.
Yes, that is possible. But it would be at the discretion of Oklahoma, who may choose to waive extradition.
Sincerely,
Dimitry, Esq.
Thank you for your patience.
I see that you reviewed my question but did not yet rate. Please let me know if I can assist you again. Otherwise please do not forget to positively rate so that I can obtain credit for my work. Thank you!
Sincerely,
Dimitry, Esq.