Alex Esquire
Alex Esquire, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney
26296561

My bank account was garnished in the amount of $55,785.18 on

Customer Question

My bank account was garnished in the amount of $55,785.18 on 5/22/2015. I received no communication beforehand or after. I found out on 5/23/2015 when I went to the bank.
The teller printed out a statement with the Legal Order number and a phone number given to the bank by the law firm who executed the legal order.
The phone number is(###) ###-#### ***** law firm is: Elias C. Schwartz in Great Neck,N.Y. Their website is: www.constructionlawny.com. I am currently unemployed so this was not a wage garnishment. I called the number yesterday only to determine the identity of the entity which was stated in their voicemail message. I did not leave a message. I do not have any unpaid debts currently or from the past. I am not sure how to proceed.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Alex Esquire replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to answer your question.
I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.
What is your legal question for me please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How should I proceed? Should I call the law firm?
Thank you for your follow up.
I cannot tell JustAnswer.com customers how to proceed or what to do, as such legal advice can only be obtained from a local attorney, upon a full review of the entire case.
However, I can provide you with general legal information related to your situation.
Would you like me to proceed?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I never received an answer to my question. How should I proceed?
I am not permitted to tell JustAnswer.com what to do in their specific situation, as such legal advice can only be provided by your local attorney, upon review of your entire case.
I can however, provide you with a general answer, if you have a legal question for me?
Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, if you would provide me with a general legal information related to my situation, that would be great.
Thank you for your follow up.
Was this garnishment related to an execution / enforcement of court judgment?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have no idea. I have no information. The law firm left a phone number with the bank and said I should call. My question is: should I have a lawyer call. I received no notice before or after. I am not in any debt situation where I am not paid up. I have not cosigned any loans. I am currently unemployed. This garnishment came completely out of the blue.
Thank you for your follow up.
It is always a good idea to hire an experienced local lawyer to contact the law firm who has garnished your bank account, especially given the fact that a very large amount of money was garnished.
This local attorney can communicate with the law firm that placed the garnishment and will be able to address the issue and provide you with an explanation / copies of legal documents supporting such garnishment or if this was a mistake, error or an oversight will be able to resolve the situation and to get the garnishment released and hold the law firm that placed the garnishment erroneously on your account (if that turns out to be the case) legally accountable for their actions.
I wish you the best of luck!
Do you have any related follow up questions?
If not, please positively rate and accept my answer, so I can be compensated for my work.
Thank you.