CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  I am a businesses law attorney, with experience advising and representing owners and investors.
71563194

I trade stocks and futures via an llc. I have friends that

Customer Question

I trade stocks and futures via an llc. I have friends that want to copy my trades which I'm ok with. How can I legally get a percentage from there earnings? For example if the 3 of us invest in crude oil and we all make 100 is it legal to have a contract where they pay me 25% of there profit
Category: Business Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.
You would need to get a stockbroker's license to perform this kind of transaction, which would also require you to work with a brokerage firm.Short of that you can charge your friends a fee and hope you don't get caught - but you are running a risk of civil, administrative, and criminal prosecution (the SEC regulates this so this falls under federal enforcement).
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What about a trade copier service I see them everywhere for futures and forex do I need a license for that
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
profit-forexsignals.com
You can engage in these services, but you are doing so at a risk. If you wish to engage in this type of service - I would highly recommend retaining counsel to advise you as to your risks first (the liability is very high).
You can find local attorneys using the State and local Bar Association directories, or private directories such as www.AVVO.com; www.FindLaw.com; or www.Martindale.com (I personally find www.AVVO.com to be the most user friendly).
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is it illegal or just unethical
Illegal - see: http://www.sec.gov/divisions/marketreg/bdguide.htm