Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years of experience
77476456

Hey we let go a driver in trucking business and he has went

Customer Question

hey we let go a driver in trucking business and he has went on craigslist and put my name my husbands and our company and saying bad things what can we do
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Gerald, Esq replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow up questions you have.
I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.
This is happening more and more often on the internet. If you are willing to fight for your reputation you can do so. If the driver is publishing false statements about you, you may have a lawsuit for defamation.
Defamation occurs when a person makes a false statement about you to a third person and that statement is harmful.
If the statement relates to your business, that is called defamation per se, and you do not have to prove damages. You are entitled to damages, punitive damages and attorney's fees.
Most attorneys who handle these types of cases will meet with you at little or no charge to make an initial assessment of the case. So it would be worth your while to at least meet with an attorney to discuss your situation.
Here are some articles that discuss defamation in greater detail:
https://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/defamation
http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/defamation-libel-slander-key-elements-claim.html
You may be able to find a local attorney to discuss your situation with through this site:
http://www.lawyers.com/libel,-slander-and-defamation/find-law-firms-by-location/
I hope the information I have provided is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow up questions, feel free to ask. Please note that I am generally unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.
Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but it helps me greatly. Thank you.
If you are dissatisfied with my response PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you and only ask the same from you.
Good luck.
Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.