Legalease
Legalease, Attorney
Experience:  14 years experience corps, LLC's and partnerships; preparation, negotiation of complex contracts and business agreements
20355756

Is there a time constraint being in a bar and

Customer Question

Is there a time constraint for children being in a bar and what is the law for sitting at the bar?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Legalease replied 1 year ago.
Hello there --
--
There are no specific time constraints for a minor child to be in a barroom or other place where liquor is served in Ohio. The Ohio Revised Code permits an underage person to be in a bar with a parent or guardian or a legal spouse (so long as each is of the legal age). The law does not give a set time that the minor must leave the barroom or establishment. In almost all US states, the age of a child in a bar is typically a judgment call on the part of the parent and the owner of the establishment. Most owners of private bars adopt private rules which prohibit minor children from being in the bar with their parents or otherwise, and the law permits the private owners to enforce these rules and ask that the parent remove the child from the bar at any time. In the event that the parent fails to do so, either the owner or the local police will most likely get the Dept of Children's Services Involved on an "endangering the welfare of a child" violation -- such charges are very vague but can cast a very wide net. Here is the website address to the Ohio laws regarding underage persons in barrooms -- you will have to copy and paste the address into your browser if you want to review the laws (my link function is not working properly).
-
http://www.youthrights.org/issues/drinking-age/laws-in-all-50-states/
-
-
THe laws in the US are a bit different from European laws and the laws of many other countries in the world when it comes to minors being in places of alcohol consumption with their parents and many such countries have specific time limits where children can sit with their parents in the bar in the afternoon while the parents have a social drink. In the US, we do not view alcohol consumption and having a drink at the local pub as a social event like the Europeans do. For example, in Ireland, even young children can sit with their parents in a pub while the parent has a drink or two so long as all young children are out of the pub by 7 pm. In the US, it is generally not acceptable to bring a young child into a pub under any circumstances and if you do so, you are most likely going to end up with the child welfare authorities calling at your house not too soon afterward.
-
Please let me know if you have further questions. If not, can you please press a positive rating below so I will be paid for my time. I am paid nothing unless you press a positive rating below. THANK YOU VERY MUCH !!
-
MARY
-