Maverick
Maverick, Attorney
Experience:  20 years of professional experience
16823287

What is a brand able domain name? I am looking to sell

Customer Question

What is a brand able domain name? I am looking to sell domain names and I see a big seller is 'brandable' domain names and 'premium domain names' what are these?
Category: Business Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also, are names of cities copyrighted? If I buy a domain name with the intention to sell it 1 day and it is the name of a city, is this legal?
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.
1. A premium domain is a “.com” domain that consists of one or two keywords. It is a name that is usually short and easy to remember and memorable. This gives it market appeal. For example, the domain name Hotbuys.com would be considered a premium domain name. These names are ***** ***** for registration; but instead has to be purchased from a domain name seller that owns it.
2. Brandable domain names are ***** ***** can be used for a variety of websites. For example, a name like Innovita does not convey the site's purpose so it can be branded to use for pretty much anything.
City names are ***** ***** protected under copyright or trademark laws. If your selected domain name that is the name of a city is not already registered, then it should not be a problem.
Please assign a feedback rating so JA will compensate me for my time. You are free to ask follow-up questions thereafter at no charge. Please allow up to 24 hours for a follow-up response if I am signed off.
If, for some reason, you are not satisfied with the answer, I would appreciate knowing why so that I can try to clear up any misunderstanding that may have taken place. Also, if you need a refund, just let me know and I will inform JA on your behalf. Finally, you may request me in the future by beginning the question with "THIS IS FOR MAVERICK".
Thank you for using Just Answer. Best wishes for 2015!