lwpat
lwpat, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with over 35 years of business experience.
15417118

We sent a letter to opposing counsel re: their spoliation of

We sent a letter to opposing counsel re: their spoliation of evidence, etc for our Jury Trial - heard nothing back for 4 months, we just received a Settlement Offer requesting that we BOTH agree to "walk away" from plaintiff's claims & our counter-claims = dismissal with prejudice. This was a surprise after 3 years of litigation. As pro se defendants we really do NOT want to litigate a Jury Trial - BUT, they are attorneys representing a $13 Bill company in a $100K+ lawsuit against us - and now they are asking that we simply BOTH stipulate to a dismissal with prejudice & "walk away" (?) Seems somewhat suspicious, is there anything we should be careful of, here ?
Thanks for using JA. I will do my best to answer your questions. DON’T FORGET the your deposit is not used to compensate me until you rate my service.

Since you are the defendants, this appears to be an excellent offer. A dismissal "with prejudice" means that the case is over forever and you cannot be sued again over the same issues. Since you do not want to go to trial, then a dismissal seems to be absolutely in your favor. I don't see anything that you should be careful of as long as you understand that you are also dismissing your counterclaims.

When a lawsuit is dismissed with prejudice, the court is saying that it has made a final determination on the merits of the case, and that the plaintiff is therefore forbidden from filing another lawsuit based on the same grounds.
http://www.nolo.com/dictionary/dismissal-with-prejudice-term.html