Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
10285032

Do u know what the statute of limitations is to contest a will?

Do u know what the statute of limitations is to contest a will? And do you know how we can check to see how far along the will is in the probate process? I have a lady who is convinced her father left her property but her step mom didn't give her anything. It's really hard to contest a will but the father has a ton of unclaimed funds in nys
thank you for your question and for asking for me. I look forward to working with you again to provide you information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

NY has no specific statute of limitations for a will contest, so she has 6 years from the date her claim arose to file a claim. One issue is that once probate is closed the surrogate courts are very reluctant absent fraud to change a probate. So she needs to file before probate is closed if she wants a realistic chance.

You can check in the surrogate court where the probate is filed and you can find the will in the file and see what is going on with the probate process. Anything not covered by will though your client could be entitled to if he does not have a pour over or catchall term in the will for all property not specifically mentioned in the will.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

This is NOT the practice of law nor is it legal advice to you, it is merely educational information for you to use to seek out a licensed attorney in your state to get actual legal advice from them. Please use sites such as http://www.martindale.com or http://www.lexmundi.com or http://www.hg.org to find a local attorney to get actual legal advice in all matters.