Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.

Hello, We have a retail store of the self serve frozen yogurt

We have a retail store of the self serve frozen yogurt in a shopping mall in California.

Customers fill their cups with the yogurt and toppings, and then place their cups on a weigh scale. AFTER customers put their cups on the scale, an LED Display (attached to scale) displays per oz price (43 cents per oz) and total price (say $3.40 for 10 oz) to customer. Based on the displayed price our pay to the cashier.

Are we required by law to display the Per Oz Price somewhere in store BEFORE customers put their cups on the weigh scale?

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

CA law only requires that point of sale displays, such as the scale you use, display price per OZ. The law does not state that the price must be displayed anywhere else.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

This is NOT the practice of law nor is it legal advice to you, it is merely educational information for you to use to seek out a licensed attorney in your state to get actual legal advice from them. Please use sites such as or or to find a local attorney to get actual legal advice in all matters.