Law Pro, Attorney
Experience:  20 years experience in business law - sole proprietor, partnership, and corporations
11688690

Am I obligated to continue with my automatic debit payments

Am I obligated to continue with my automatic debit payments for my gym membership if the gym goes out of business without notifying me? I live in Washington County Pennsylvania
Hi! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'll be the attorney assisting you.

I practice in the metro Pgh area.

So there is no gym for you to use - correct?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

There is a gym that is not affiliated with theirs that they are "sending" their clients to. It is not the original gym that I signed the membership contract with

It would depend on the contract you signed - if the contract states that it can assign your agreement within so many miles to another gym.

If the contract or agreement doesn't provide for such - then no.

However, even if the agreement provides for such - the new gym can't be further away and must offer the same abilities and facilities - because you wouldn't be getting what you originally bargained for otherwise.

An assignment can't be more burdensom on the assignee as per the original contract AND must provide the same services.

So, botXXXXX XXXXXne is - NO they can't do that AND you can terminate the automatic withdrawals.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which will be helpful to you. If I have not fully addressed your questions or if you have any follow up questions, or if I have misinterpreted your questions in any way, please do not rate me yet, but simply ask a follow up question without rating so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer.. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

If you have any questions, about this or anything else, please ask for me, Law Pro, directly in the question and I will try to assist you as best I can.

For example, you would state, "This question is for Law Pro . . . (then on with your question).

I wish you the best in the future.