Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
10285032

how is child support figured when a woman makes more than her

Customer Question

how is child support figured when a woman makes more than her husband
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

In VA they use what is called the "income shares model" where they look at the gross monthly income of BOTH parents and combine it to get the statutory amount due from the guidelines. Once they determine the monthly amount of support due based on the statutory guidelines, then they take the percentage of the combined gross monthly income that the husband contributes to the gross monthly income and that is the percentage of the monthly child support from the guidelines that the husband has to pay.

For example, if the wife makes $6000 per month and the husband makes $4000 per month gross. They add that together and look at the guidelines to see what the monthly support amount is for $10,000 combined income. Then they would take 40% (since the husband contributes 40% to the gross monthly combined income) and the husband would have to pay 40% of the statutory support if the mother is the custodial parent.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

This is NOT the practice of law nor is it legal advice to you, it is merely educational information for you to use to seek out a licensed attorney in your state to get actual legal advice from them. Please use sites such as http://www.martindale.com or http://www.lexmundi.com or http://www.hg.org to find a local attorney to get actual legal advice in all matters.