socrateaser, Attorney
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
10097515

Summary: - My company is a Georgia Limited Liability Company.

Customer Question

Summary:

- My company is a Georgia Limited Liability Company. In the intital 'Article of Incorporation', I have been listed as the initial Manager of the company. There are no other members/managers.
- My LLC has not done any business since 2011 and has no money/assests. Have a business credit card loan. Filed tax returns for 2012.
- Due to contract agreement breach by my sub-contractor, my LLC hasn't made the last payment in 2010. The sub-contractor has filed a case through a Debt Collecting law firm in county superior court and the court has scheduled for Trial in less than 3 weeks.
- I understand this being a lawsuit on my company, I can't personally represent or send any response to the court. Only an attorney can represent my company
- I had an attorney until Mar 2013 and now I Can't afford an attorney. The court has set the trial by end of Oct, 2013.

Business Credit Card loan:

- I have asked my business credit card company to send a copy of my application along with credit card terms agreement that I have physically signed in 2005 in a banking center.
- The bank has sent a letter in writing that they are not able to locate my application.
- I understand generally business credit card companies will make the loan personally liable if company cannot repay. I have wait to see how my bank is going to proceed, as they are not able to send me a copy of my application.

Questions:

- The trial is scheduled for end of Oct 2013. Is it better to get a default judgement from the court or agree to sign a consent judgement by discussing with plaintiff attorney?
- At this stage having less than 3 weeks for trial, can I initiate bankruptcy filing process for my LLC?
- Approximately how much will it cost to file bankruptcy for my LLC? How long will it take to get the bankruptcy process get completed? I May not be able to afford to pay for the bankrupcy process now, can try at a later date.
- After getting a judgement (default judgement from court or agreeing for a consent judgement with plaintiff), can my LLC file for bankruptcy? What points shoudl I consider?
- If filing bankruptcy is an option now before the court trial date, and if my LLC files it, will that make it easy on the business credit card company come after me personally?
- Somewhere I read, maintaining the Business registration with Secretary of State office for the LLC, will make the credit card companies unable to go after the business owner's personal assests/property

Considering my situation, what will be the best option to proceed. Kindly let me know.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 11 months ago.

What is the debt collector's damage request in the complaint (how much money are we talking about)?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

The last invoice amount of $22,000 (principal) plus accrued interest of $8,500 + Attorney fees.

The sub-contractor (Plaintiff) has breached the contract in two areas including a non-compete violation. But due the complexity of the agreement and nature of work, I have not filed a suit for non-compete.

I had an Attorney until Mar 2013 and as I mentioned before, my LLC don't have any more money to hire an attorney to go for trial in less than 3 weeks.

I have also provided the business credit card loan ($28,000) details, even though it is not related to this court case/trial to better understand the overall situation.

Hope this helps to provide appropriate answers to my questions.

Thanks,

FM

Okay, thanks. You asked:

- The trial is scheduled for end of Oct 2013. Is it better to get a default judgment from the court or agree to sign a consent judgment by discussing with plaintiff attorney?

A: If you did not personally guarantee the debt, then you can simply let the case default, and the creditor will never collect, because you're not personally liable (unless the creditor's complaint alleges you are personally liable, in which case, you will have to defend the case, or be prepared to file bankruptcy, if you are subjected to personal liability by the court's judgment).

A: Yes, but as previously described, if you did not personally guarantee the debt alleged by the plaintiff, then you can't be held liable -- unless the plaintiff is alleging a fraud or similar, and intends to try to "pierce the corporate veil."

- Approximately how much will it cost to file bankruptcy for my LLC? How long will it take to get the bankruptcy process get completed? I May not be able to afford to pay for the bankruptcy process now, can try at a later date.

A: Approximately $5,000, if the attorney doesn't need to do anything, assuming that no creditor files an adversary proceeding with the intent to try to hold you personally liable for the debt. Otherwise, it could be very costly (as much as your debt).

- After getting a judgment (default judgment from court or agreeing for a consent judgment with plaintiff), can my LLC file for bankruptcy? What points should I consider?

A: You could file bankruptcy, before or after -- it won't matter, as long as you haven't personally guaranteed the debt -- and the creditor is not alleging some sort of fraud or trying to pierce the corporate veil.

A: If you personally guaranteed the credit card, then the credit card issuer can sue you, whether or not the LLC files bankruptcy. So, it's neither easy nor hard -- it's the same either way.

- Somewhere I read, maintaining the Business registration with Secretary of State office for the LLC, will make the credit card companies unable to go after the business owner's personal assets/property.

A: Nonsense, in my opinion. But, without a reference to whatever you read, I can't comment intelligently. The only issues are: (1) personal guarantee of the credit card; (2) personal guarantee of the LLC debt to the creditor; (3) creditor alleging fraud or trying to pierce the corporate veil.

That's what you must consider, and it determines your risk.

Please let me know if I can clarify anything or further assist.

Hope this helps.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for the response. Sorry for the delay. I was tied-up with a family emergency. Here are my answers followed with some questions.

• I have not personally guaranteed the debt. Actually it was an agreement made between my LLC and the Plaintiff's LLC at a company level. The court case was also filed by the plaintiff only under my LLC name. My name is XXXXX XXXXX

• As I mentioned earlier, I had an attorney until Mar 2013 and now I can't afford him anymore. He suggested to sign a Consent Judgment with the Plaintiff and settle the case. In his opinion, he said it is better to do Consent Judgment than neglecting/ignoring the trial and getting a default judgment. When I specifically asked what would be the advantage, he said, we can exclude attorney fees in the final settlement. To me it didn’t sound right. Let me know your thoughts

• Based on your initial response, I have decided to let the case default. Could you please shed some light on the items I need to be aware or respond after the default judgment. For example, what will the plaintiff’s attorney (Collection Agency Law Firm) do next?. Am I obligated (may be part of the judgement) to send any responses as to any financial information (assuming, they have the right to know whether my LLC is generating any revenue)

• I am also thinking of sending a letter to the Judge about the Plaintiff’s wrong doing (violating the non-compete agreement), which has resulted in losing business from my Client and ended up shutting down the operations. Even though this is not directly related to the subject case, it has a big financial impact on my LLC, and can’t afford an attorney to go for trial. Let me know your thoughts. If you recommend to send, do I send a copy to the plaintiff’s attorney too (like how all documents were sent previously)?

Kindly advise.

I have not personally guaranteed the debt. Actually it was an agreement made between my LLC and the Plaintiff's LLC at a company level. The court case was also filed by the plaintiff only under my LLC name. My name is XXXXX XXXXX

As I mentioned earlier, I had an attorney until Mar 2013 and now I can't afford him anymore. He suggested to sign a Consent Judgment with the Plaintiff and settle the case. In his opinion, he said it is better to do Consent Judgment than neglecting/ignoring the trial and getting a default judgment. When I specifically asked what would be the advantage, he said, we can exclude attorney fees in the final settlement. To me it didn’t sound right. Let me know your thoughts

A: If you have no personal liability, then, once again, my previous answer stands as written -- i.e., the only issues are: (1) personal guarantee of the credit card; (2) personal guarantee of the LLC debt to the creditor; (3) creditor alleging fraud or trying to pierce the corporate veil. If none of the above apply, then the creditor is nuts to sue you because it will never collect.

Based on your initial response, I have decided to let the case default. Could you please shed some light on the items I need to be aware or respond after the default judgment. For example, what will the plaintiff’s attorney (Collection Agency Law Firm) do next?

Am I obligated (may be part of the judgment) to send any responses as to any financial information (assuming, they have the right to know whether my LLC is generating any revenue)

A: You don't have to do anything. You could be subjected to a postjudgment debtor exam to try to determine whether or not the business has any assets, or whether or not you transferred business assets into your name, or to a third party, so as to hinder, defraud or delay the judgment debtor's satisfaction of its claim against you. Were that to be true, then the judgment creditor could sue you and/or the third party to try to clawback the transferred assets.

If nothing like that is in play, then you can attend the judgment debtor exam and just tell them that you have no assets, so "good luck" to them. Or, you can file for bankruptcy of the LLC, and that would stop the annoyance entirely and for good.

I am also thinking of sending a letter to the Judge about the Plaintiff’s wrong doing (violating the non-compete agreement), which has resulted in losing business from my Client and ended up shutting down the operations. Even though this is not directly related to the subject case, it has a big financial impact on my LLC, and can’t afford an attorney to go for trial. Let me know your thoughts. If you recommend to send, do I send a copy to the plaintiff’s attorney too (like how all documents were sent previously)?

A: The judge will probably ignore the letter as it is being sent outside of the normal due process of the civil rules. Personally, I wouldn't send anything to anyone. People always want to tell their story so as to get justice. Trouble is, by putting something in writing, you may end up providing evidence that could be used against you for some other purpose. I have no idea what that purpose might be, but since it inevitably happens, whenever someone sends an unnecessary writing to someone else, I think it's almost always a bad idea to send anything to anyone, unless it's absolutely necessary.

Hope this helps.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for the reply.

a. For the 1st calenadar call from the court in Mar 2013, my attorney responded that we are not ready for trail. Now the Court has sent the 2nd Calendar Call notice, for which I have responded as a Pro Se (even though only an Attorney has to represent LLC) saying we are not ready for trial.

b. The court has sent the trial (set on Oct 28th) notification letter. It says "Failure by the defendant to appear at the time and place shown above, without the consent ofthe court, may result in the defendant's answer or counter claim being dismisse with judgement entered against the defendant".

c. The plaintiff's attorney has filed the "Motion to Strike Pro Se Answer and Enter default judgement" with the court.

My questions are:

1. I am not sure if the Judge will enter the default judgement before the trail date (Oct 28th). Should I send a letter to the Judge/Court saying that we will not be able to attend the trail or it is not necessary?

2. In your last answer you have asked to consider: "creditor alleging fraud or trying to pierce the corporate veil". The issue on this case is the sub-contarctor (plaintiff) has not maintained the required Business Insurance as per the contract agreement. Even though we relased payments for past invoices, when we came to know they have not provided the insurance details, we sent two reminder letters saying: We will release the payment after they produce the insurance certificate. They haven't provided any details and we have not paid the last invoice. Can the plaintiff's attorney manipulate this issue as fraud?

3. As I mentioned in my initial question/post: My company is a Georgia Limited Liability Company. In the 'Article of Incorporation', I have been listed as the initial Manager of the company. There are no other members/managers. Is my company structure or the nature of the contract dispute or any other factor will yield to the aspect or "Piercing the corporate Veil"? Can you shed some more light on the Piercing the corporate Viel?

4. You have mentioned that my LLC could be subjected to a postjudgment debtor exam. Currently the Bank has even closed my Business Checking account, since there are no transactions. There are no assests or account receivables.

(a) Will this be a single visit or it will be a repeated attempts?

(b) Will the court send someone to check at the business address (my home)?

(c) If I decide to file bankruptcy to my LLC, will the postjudgment exam process stop?

5. The Business credit card loan is separate from this case. As I mentioned before, I have asked my business credit card company to send a copy of my application along with credit card terms agreement that I have physically signed in 2005 in a banking center. The bank has sent a letter in writing that they are not able to locate my application. If they also file a case in court, without producing my application and credit card agreement, can they win the case? Any suggestions?

Please advise.

1. I am not sure if the Judge will enter the default judgment before the trail date (Oct 28th). Should I send a letter to the Judge/Court saying that we will not be able to attend the trail or it is not necessary?

A: You're not an attorney. You cannot send anything to the court.

2. In your last answer you have asked to consider: "creditor alleging fraud or trying to pierce the corporate veil". The issue on this case is the sub-contractor (plaintiff) has not maintained the required Business Insurance as per the contract agreement. Even though we released payments for past invoices, when we came to know they have not provided the insurance details, we sent two reminder letters saying: We will release the payment after they produce the insurance certificate. They haven't provided any details and we have not paid the last invoice. Can the plaintiff's attorney manipulate this issue as fraud?

A: I don't see fraud in your allegations. Also, the complaint must expressly plead fraud. If it doesn't, then there's no fraud.

3. As I mentioned in my initial question/post: My company is a Georgia Limited Liability Company. In the 'Article of Incorporation', I have been listed as the initial Manager of the company. There are no other members/managers. Is my company structure or the nature of the contract dispute or any other factor will yield to the aspect or "Piercing the corporate Veil"? Can you shed some more light on the Piercing the corporate Veil?

A: Very complicated subject. Falls outside the scope of your original question. Please open a new Q&A session if you wish to discuss this further, so that I may receive appropriate compensation for my answers.

4. You have mentioned that my LLC could be subjected to a postjudgment debtor exam. Currently the Bank has even closed my Business Checking account, since there are no transactions. There are no assets or account receivables.

A: Probably one, if it's obvious that there is no money to collect. Too expensive to pay a lawyer to collect nothing.

A: No. The court resolves disputes, and must remain neutral in all respects. It's not a private investigation service.

A: Yes.

A: If they cannot find your application, then they can't prove you guaranteed the card. And, if they can't prove you guaranteed the card, then they cannot sue you personally for the debt. Seems to me, they don't have a case against you.

Hope this helps.

socrateaser, Attorney
Experience: Retired (mostly)
Customer: replied 7 months ago.

I would like to update the case status and ask new questions. I am willing to pay for these new answers. Let me know if I have to post it as a new/separate question. The reason I am posting here is to make it easy for your to review/refer to this case and questions/answers.

Before posting the 1st question here on Oct 6th 2013, the court has sent the Calendar call notice and asked to respond no later than Sep 24, 2013. The letter also said "Failure to appear may result in automatic dismissal without prejudice"

When I checked with the court's clerk, to ask about that the LLC is not ready for trial now and what should I do, she asked to notify the Judge by a letter. As you know since I am not in a position to continue the Services of an Attorney, I made a letter and sent to Judge with a copy to Plaintiff's attorney saying:

Dear Judge Smith:

I would like to bring to your attention that I was forced to shut down my business in 2012. I am not able to hire an attorney to represent this case and hence I am self-representing as Pro Se.

Please accept this announcement in lieu of appearance at the Sep 26, 2013 calendar call. The defendant (xxx, LLC) is not ready for trial.

I know at the time of sending the letter, that a LLC cannot be represented as Pro Se and the Judge may not accept this letter. On Sep 27,XXXXXa letter saying the Trial on this case will be heard on Oct 28th, 2013 and pretrial orders are due in the Judge's office by Oct 18th, 2013.

At that time is what I posted my 1st set of questions here and you suggested not to send any letter as it will not have any effect.

On Oct 14th 2013, the Plaintiff's attorney has filed in court "Motion to Strike Pro Se Answer and Enter Default Judgment". I was periodically checking by phone with the court's clerk on the case status and there was no update to the files in court. I received a letter from the Plaintiff's attorney on Dec 20th 2013 with a copy of the "Order to Strike Answer and Enter Judgment" signed by the Judge on Oct 31st, 2013. Then when I called the court, the clerk that she don't have a copy of that judgment in court's file. I thought the Judge's office clerk may have not sent the copy to court's file!

Subsequently I received the Post-Judgement a) Interrogatories and a) Production of documents from the Plaintiff's attorney and they were filed in the court and when I checked at the court they also received the Judgment copy!

The Request for Interrogatories says:

COMES NOW the Plaintiff and files this, its Written Post-Judgment Interrogatories, pursuant to O.C.G.A. 9-11-69 and the Civil
Practice Act of the State of Georgia, requesting, John Doe, to answer under oath each of the Interrogatories set forth herein.

As the response was requested to be submitted by the member/manager of the LLC, I already submitted the response to interrogatories.

The Request for Production of Documents says:

"Enclosed please find Plaintiffs Post-Judgment Request for Production of Documents which are hereby served upon the designated Defendant pursuant to the Georgia Civil Practice Act.

COME(S) NOW the Plainiff(s) above and serve(s) its Request for Prodction of DOcuments and Things pursuant to O.c.G.A. 9-11-33 and 9-11-34, and demand(s) the Officer XXXX XXXXX a Response to this Request for Production of Documents and Things within thirty-three (33) days of service hereof."

I am preparing a response keeping in mind (operating this company at a business level and not at personal level) with all requested documents including Articles of Organization, LLC operating Agreement, meeting Minutes, Annual meeting minutes, bank Statements, Credit Card Statements, tax returns, payroll etc.......

Looking at the previous response made by my attorney for the initial request (before Judgment) for production of Documents he mentioned for all items/requests: "The documents in Defendant’s possession will be produced including the XXXXXXXXXXXX".

Kindly let me know:

1. If I should use the same type of verbage (The documents in

Defendant’s possession will be produced including the XXXXXXX) or

something like: "The documents in Defendant’s possession has been

enclosed / attached"
2. Should I redact the company's Tax ID Number, Bank Account

Numbers, Credit Card numbers?
3. Since I (as the member/Manager of LLC) was asked to respond, and

me responding without an attorney will have any impact like Motion to

Strike again indicating Pro Se factor?

4. Would any of this would enable the effect of "Piercing the Corporate

Veil"?

5. Do you foresee the changes of piercing the corporate veil?

6. Can "Charging orders" be enforced?

7. Any precautions / suggestions, that you have.

Please let me know if you need any additional details.

Awaiting your reply.

Kindly let me know:

Expert:  socrateaser replied 7 months ago.
Hello again...you asked:

Defendant’s possession will be produced including the XXXXXXX) or something like: "The documents in Defendant’s possession has been enclosed / attached"

A: Postjudgment interrogatories are permitted if reasonably calculated to lead to the discovery of assets of the judgment-debtor (LLC). An interrogatory asks questions, and generally, the responding party must answer, unless there is a legitimate objection. An interrogatory request cannot demand copies of documents. It can, however, ask questions about the contents of documents, and it is an option of the responding party to provide the documents, rather than the answers.

That said, unless you believe a question could result in your confessing to a criminal act, best practice is simply to answer the question in a straight forward manner.

Here is a link to a fairly complex interrogatory answer. Here is another. The format for responding is somewhat universal to every jurisdiction.

2. Should I redact the company's Tax ID Number, Bank Account Numbers, Credit Card numbers?

A: If you're asked for the number, then you must provide it. If not, and it happens to be on a document that you decide to provide, voluntarily, but the question does not ask about the number, then you can redact the number.

3. Since I (as the member/Manager of LLC) was asked to respond, and me responding without an attorney will have any impact like Motion to Strike again indicating Pro Se factor?

A: No. You are now responding as a witness, not as an attorney.

4. Would any of this would enable the effect of "Piercing the Corporate Veil"?

A: Anything is possible. There's no way for me to competently answer this question, without knowing everything about your financial circumstances and the case. As an example, if you were asked about the location of a motor vehicle which was originally purchased by the LLC, and your answer is that you transferred title into your name, then that would be the sort of evidence that the judgment creditor would need to pierce the corporate veil.

A: See above.

6. Can "Charging orders" be enforced?

A: Against you? Depends on whether or not you are ordered to turnover money, the money exists and you refuse to comply. If so, then yes, orders can be enforced by contempt. However, if the assets or income do not exist, then inability to comply is an absolute defense to contempt.

A: Nothing other than to hire a lawyer.

Hope this helps.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.

Thank you for the reply.

- LLC's Bank Statements and Credit card statements were part of the request for Post-Judgement Production of Documents.

- Both accounts of the LLC (Checking and Credit Card from same bank) were closed. The checking account's monthly maintenance fee was keep adding to the account for the past several months and since there was no activity, the Bank closed this account.

- The Credit card account is also closed. However there is a credit card due of approximately $28,000 (The bank may file a complaint. But they have not yet done and this may be due to the fact of they not having my original credit card application - see your response made on Oct 19th, 2013 for the last [5th] question).

- Currently when I try to access these Online Accounts, it says: "There are no open accounts for this Online ID. We are unable to service your request." Sending this info to Plaintiff's attorney will make him understand that there is no active bank account or money. Kindly let me know:

8. If including a copy of this message is better or it may cause any other issues?

- The company has no assets.

- I am the only member of this LLC (Articles of Incorporation says: I will be the initial manager)

- This case is related to non-payment of invoice for the last month of services to my sub-contractor a LLC (Plaintiff). Payment was not made due to Plaintiff not having/maintaining required Business Insurance. Kindly please review your response made on Oct 19th, 2013 for the last [2nd] question.

- The company owned a car (1998) and a motor cycle (2003) during the period 7/01/2005 to 12/31/2010. At that time the title had both my name and the company name. For 2011 tax return filing the CPA has included the necessary accounting statements and mentioned the date of sale as 1/1/2011. The new title was issued under my name on 3/21/2013.

- This case was originally filed at the court on 9/6/2011.

- There are NO accounts receivable pending from any business

- The revenue received during most of the years were only between $150,00 to $250,000 and only one year we had $483,000. Still after calculating all expenses and payables, teh LLC was in loss!

- There were no distributions made by LLC to myself

- In fact the minimum salary/compensation of $2000 per month I was receiving for managing the LLC was stopped in Jan 2011 and not geting any compensation for 11 months in 2011 and the whole of 2012 and 2013.

9. Given this scenario and circumstances, is there a reason to pierce the corporate veil?

10. I am not in a position to afford an attorney if needed for anything. Literally my LLC is broke and and I have taken a job outside and the pay doesn't even meet the bills! Please suggest any precautions or documentation that I need to consider keeping/maintaining at my end.

Thank you so much!

A: If there are no accounts and no assets, then say so. However, what you really must do is answer the questions as asked -- no more and no less. If that means providing specific account info, then do -- otherwise don't.

A: I see none. But, that doesn't mean a creditor won't try.

10. I am not in a position to afford an attorney if needed for anything. Literally my LLC is broke and I have taken a job outside and the pay doesn't even meet the bills! Please suggest any precautions or documentation that I need to consider keeping/maintaining at my end.

A: There is nothing that you can do that will improve your circumstances. If you are forthcoming in your answers, then the creditors may decide that there's no money to be had and then they will go away. Ultimately, if they can't find that you have transferred assets to yourself, then they would have to fall back on a fraud argument -- i.e., that you defrauded them in obtaining credit in the first place, so it would be fair that you be held personally liable for the fraud.

Nothing you have expressed in your previous comments suggests a fraud -- based on that, I don't see much risk for you.

Hope this helps.