Ask a Business Lawyer. Get Business Law Questions Answered ASAP.
This was a loan with the following parameters: A family member (B) needed a vehicle. His (A) girlfriends mother purchased the vehicle based on verbal agreement with me to provide the funds. The mother (A) accepted the check, cashed it, titled, registered and insured the vehicle in her name for our nephew. Payments began for a short time then ceased after the nephew (B) moved in with family (A). Our approach is to hold (B) liable as she owned operated and insured the vehicle. But have named both parties jointly and severely liable. Is this the correct approach. We wish to secure and have our original loan amount repaid.
If (B) induced you to make the loan to (A) based upon (B)'s promise to pay, then that would be either a breach of contract between you and (B), assuming that (B) intended to pay at the time that the promise to pay was made; or fraud, if (B) did not intend to pay. Proof of fraud is always difficult. But, as a pure contract law matter, both breach of contract and fraud are colorable claims for a lawsuit. Hope this helps.
I need different representation in Toms River, NJ. Any you can recommend? This should have been an open & shut civil and we are on the losing end. Please help me.
"1. Keith to pay a total of $9000 at a rate of $160 per month until paid in full beginning November 1, 2013 and continuing monthly till paid in full;
2. If any payment is late, you must email or write him telling him its late and he has 15 days to make payment. If he fails to do so , you can make application to the judge for a judgment against him for $9000 minus any payments he has made.
3. By November 1, 2013 , Keith has to provide you with the new title with John’s name as a lien holder which you will hold till the debt is paid in full. If he fails to do, you have the right to reopen the case as to both defendants.
4. By November 1, 2013 , Keith is to provide photos of the car . The debt must be paid regardless of the current or future condition of the car.
5. The Complaint is dismissed as to Judy, except as to number 3, above."
Vehicle currently titled to Judy Kushner.
I live in Illinois. I did get a reference from said list... hence our attorney hired from said list... attorney made concessions that we didn't agree with and he put it in front of a judge without our consent as to each point. I guess I have no further options. What is my recourse if I can't get a recommendation? I suggested criminal theft and was told it wouldn't be feasible... My lawyer got "out-lawyered" by their lawyer. I'm the victim yet they prosper. What channels are left for us to explore?
Vehicle has been titled by Judy since 2006...not indicated in "agreement" that Judy relinquishes title rights to said vehicle. Keith can then (per our previous content, as discussed) can turn around and file for bankruptcy. They also agreed to a lien holder on the title but would not agree to "full coverage" insurance. Having lived in NJ till '96, a lien required full coverage. I believe it still does.
We did agree to payment to be received by the first of the month. Now it became the 15th of the month without any penalties. Not discussed with us. We would not have agreed without a penalty.
#2 Keith has no official email address that I know of (all comms went through [email protected]) and has continued to use the email of the co-defendant. Keith also lives with the co-defendant. His wife is now the daughter of the co-defendant. I need to notify HIM when HE is late??? You know when you are late when you pay your bills. This is wrong in so many ways. Since there are too many ways to claim "I didn't get notification", I requested bank transfer as an option to remove the uncertainty of USPS mail. My attorney declined to answer and obfuscated the subject with another subject. What do I do at this point? I did not agree and he has taken too many liberties along with my trust. What are my options? Thank you.
I have sent the unacceptable terms... Keith has no official email address that I know of (all comms went through his mother-in-law, [email protected]) and has continued to use the email of the co-defendant. Keith also lives with the co-defendant. His wife is now the daughter of the co-defendant. I need to notify HIM when HE is late??? You know when you are late when you pay your bills. This is wrong in so many ways. Since there are too many ways to claim "I didn't get notification", I requested bank transfer as an option to remove the uncertainty of USPS mail. My attorney declined to answer and obfuscated the subject with another subject. What do I do at this point? I did not agree and he has taken too many liberties along with my trust. What are my options? Thank you.
Not all disclosed... have been told to "wait for agreement".
"John and Maggie: to confirm, I signed the agreement and represented to the judge that you agreed to the following settlement:
I will send you a copy of the order by regular mail and this email as a confirming letter. as the it does not scan well.
As to how Keith is going to pay the debt, who knows. Hopefully , he takes this seriously now. He did appear to be a bit frightened to be hauled into court on this. In the very least, you established in writing that he is responsible for this debt and you have a lien on the car.
In sum, the contract that you need to be concerned with is your written fee agreement with the attorney. Unless that agreement expressly granted the attorney the authority to settle this matter, then the attorney's statements to the court are grounds for suspension/disbarment, and are subject to being set aside by the court on a motion for relief from judgment, or by reversal on appeal.
It's also grounds for a malpractice action against your attorney, to the extent that the attorney's actions damage your interests.
Your recourse is to tell the attorney that he can either rescind the unauthorized settlement, or personally guarantee the defendant's payments in writing -- otherwise, you will be forced to take appropriate legal action to enforce your rights.
You cannot threaten to file a complaint with the State Bar -- that would be criminal extortion. All you can do is threaten to take appropriate legal action.
Again, I would encourage you to try to figure out a way to avoid a real war with the lawyer, but unless your fee/retainer agreement, or something else written by you, provided the attorney with authority to settle this matter, then the attorney could not settle the matter.
Hope this helps.
DISCLAIMER: Answers from Experts on JustAnswer are not substitutes for the advice of an attorney. JustAnswer is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Expert above is not your attorney, and the response above is not legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains.
The responses above are from individual Experts, not JustAnswer. The site and services are provided “as is”. To view the verified credential of an Expert, click on the “Verified” symbol in the Expert’s profile. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service (last updated February 8, 2012).