How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask socrateaser Your Own Question
socrateaser, Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 37837
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
socrateaser is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

To socrateaser, only I want to cite the US Supreme Court

This answer was rated:

To socrateaser, only

I want to cite the US Supreme Court regarding the responsibility of government agencies to maintain their files and know what's in their files.
I think that you can avoid citing the U.S. Supreme Court, and simply cite the U.S. Code: 5 U.S.C. 552a(g)(C).

The Code seems pretty unequivocal on its face, that every federal agency is liable if it "fails to maintain any record concerning any individual with such accuracy, relevance, timeliness, and completeness as is necessary to assure fairness in any determination relating to the qualifications, character, rights, or opportunities of, or benefits to the individual that may be made on the basis of such record, and consequently a determination is made which is adverse to the individual."

Please let me know if my answer is helpful.
socrateaser and 8 other Business Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

As before, your response was more than I expected. I appreciate your thoroughness and your graciousness.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

To Socrateaser Only


Ive got a different topic I need answers on.


* At age 62, I begin to receive early Soc Sec.

* My P-T job became FT and I earned more than the limit

* I stopped my SS but not timely and was overpaid SS benefits

* I set up a payment plan

* My employment was terminated and I'm wondering:


Can I begin receiving SS benefits while continuing to repay the overpayment - or must my overpayment be paid off first?

The SS Administration has the authority to engage in "administrative offset," which means that it can deduct your overpayments from your new benefit payments. SSA will deduct the maximum amount of overpayment (100%) against your payments until the debt is satisfied. However, you can request a smaller offset, and if you show good cause (a clear justification) for why a smaller offset should be applied (e.g., "Unless I receive $X per month, I will be unable to pay my rent."), then SSA is likely to approve the smaller offset.

See this link.

Hope this helps.
socrateaser and 8 other Business Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your comprehensive answer.