Loren, Attorney
Experience:  30 years experience representing clients .

Can the Condo Board of Directors request a copy of a tenants

Can the Condo Board of Directors request a copy of a tenants lease from the owner to verify that the lease is for 7 months or more? I do not see anything prior that this request was in the by-laws and whatever documents a Condo Assocation has on file. Also the documents they are requesting are not signed by anyone from the Board nor dated and ask questions that I think are not relevant such as a tenants employer and employers address. As the owner, I have never given the Board this information and am wondering if any of this stuff is part of the privacy act or some other legal statute
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am Loren and I will do whatever I can to answer your question and provide you excellent service.

I am sorry to hear of your dilemma.   I realize how frustrating this is for you and I hope to provide you information which is accurate and useful, even though it may not be the news you were hoping to get.

Florida condo associations are permitted by law to regulate tenancies and even restrict them. I suspect there is something in the bylaws which you are missing since the regulation of non owner residents is fairly standard.

The purpose of the addendum being required is so that the tenant will be required to abide by the bylaws, rules and regulations of the association. The tenant would have no privity of contract with the association otherwise.

Therefore, this is not a violation of privacy laws and you are required to provide a copy oft he lease.

I realize this is not the answer you were hoping to receive.  Also, please remember that this is not necessarily a moral judgement on my part.   As a professional, however, I am sometimes placed in the position of having to deliver news which is not favorable to a customer's legal position, but accurately reflects their position under the law. I hate it, but it happens and I only ask that you not penalize me with a bad or poor rating for having to deliver less than favorable news.

It is my privilege to assist you. Let me know if you need further information.  I hope I have helped you beyond your expectations in the service I have provided to you.  I am here for you.
Also, be sure to verify this information with a local attorney who is familiar with your local laws and procedures.

Please remember to rate my answer when our communication is completed so I will be compensated for my time in providing you with the information you requested.

If you feel the need to provide a low rating, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY button with whatever issue or clarification you may need. I will happily answer your follow-up questions and assist you until I am able to explain the answer to your satisfaction. Please also remember that I cannot control whether the law is favorable to your situation, so please do not penalize me for having to deliver bad news.

Thank you.

Thank you for your positive rating of my service to you and your generous bonus. Let me know if you need more help or have future questions. I will be here for you. Just ask for me by name at the start of your question - "Loren" or use the following link (which you can bookmark in your browser):

Best wishes and good luck to you.

If it is not too much trouble, Candy, when you receive a Customer Satisfaction Survey from JA/Pearl in a day or two, please consider rating me highly (9 or 10). It affects my ability to continue to assist you and other customers on JA/Pearl and would be most appreciated.