Law Pro, Attorney
Experience:  20 years experience in business law - sole proprietor, partnership, and corporations
11688690

I have an LLC in Texas with 5 other investors, I am being sued

I have an LLC in Texas with 5 other investors, I am being sued personally for $1800.00 that another partner in the business did not pay and she was not authorized by our corporation to do business on a credit basis. We do not have any kind of agreement signed with the creditor. My question is what case in the state of Texas exempts an individual from being sued. I know that an LLC can but not an individual. I need to reply to this suit with the case supporting my response.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Law Pro replied 1 year ago.
Hi! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'll be the attorney assisting you.

I'm not sure what the basis of the suit is and why they are going after you personally.

Can you describe in more detail about this LLC partner and what they bought and charged?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

My business is(used to be) a tire recycling facility. We used a local tire recycling facility to throw away tires in his tire reclamation landfill site. He charges us by the lbs.

Expert:  Law Pro replied 1 year ago.
This was all done through your LLC - correct?

What was it that this LLC partner bought or paid for and for what?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

My partner took a 53' trailer full of tires to the landfill. Supposedly, the landfill gave her credit. I was not made aware and she was not authorized to do business as such. We had taken trailers full of tires before but we always paid before we could leave the creditors premises.

Expert:  Law Pro replied 1 year ago.
OK, but if your partner did so - they did so under the pretense of your LLC - correct?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I would think so. I was not there when the transaction happened. My partner was told and she affirmed that she was going to pay for the trailer full of tires before she took the tires to the facility to get disposed off.

Expert:  Law Pro replied 1 year ago.
It would appear that she performed her actions under the guise of the LLC - as such there is no personal liability for you.

Yes, the LLC could be liable. That the LLC partner has the apparent authority to act on behalf of the LLC.

However, at most the LLC is liable - not you personally.

Is that the case here - that the LLC partner dumped the tires under the apparent authority or business of the LLC?

If that's the case then I think it's a simple answer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes sir, I know that the answer is that the LLC is liable but I am looking for a case in the state of texas that specifically exempts me. I need to respond to the law suit with a specific case to the judge.

Expert:  Law Pro replied 1 year ago.
What are they alleging in the complaint why you personally are liable?

Are they suing all the owner LLC owners or just you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

They are suing 3 more of the owners. Why? don't know. Maybe its because one resides in Mexico and the other resides in Canada.

Expert:  Law Pro replied 1 year ago.
OK, I'll find the case/statute for you.

It's ridiculous that the judge is requesting that - it's common knowledge.

I may be a little bit getting that for you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I understand. Just trying to protect myself. You can email the response. I am going to step out for a little while. This will give you time to research it. Thank you.

Expert:  Law Pro replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Sounds good.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I got a window that says that you responded but it took me to a blank window. Don't know if you have had a chance to find the statue.

Expert:  Law Pro replied 1 year ago.
Here it is - it's almost stupid that they filed suit against you:

In addition to expressly providing for limited liability of LLC members, the BOC states that a member of an LLC is not a proper party to proceedings by or against an LLC except where the object is to enforce a member’s right against or liability to the LLC. Tex. Bus. Orgs. Code § 101.113. LLC members or managers are liable for their own fraudulent or tortious acts even if the acts are committed in the service of the LLC. In re Williams, 2011 WL 240466 (Bankr. W.D. Tex. Jan. 24, 2011); Sanchez v. Mulvaney, 274 S.W.3d 708, 712 (Tex.App.–San Antonio 2008, no pet.); LJ Charter, L.L.C. v. Air America Jet Charter, Inc., 2009 WL(NNN) NNN-NNNN(Tex.App.–Houston [14th Dist.] Dec. 15, 2009, pet. denied).
Law Pro, Attorney
Experience: 20 years experience in business law - sole proprietor, partnership, and corporations
Expert:  Law Pro replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which will be helpful to you. If I have not fully addressed your questions or if you have any follow up questions, or if I have misinterpreted your questions in any way, please do not rate me yet, but simply ask a follow up question without rating so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer.. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

If you have any questions, about this or anything else, please ask for me, Law Pro, directly in the question and I will try to assist you as best I can.

For example, you would state, "This question is for Law Pro . . . (then on with your question).

I wish you the best in the future.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I was in a class action law suit against Fastenal. THe firm handling my law suit was Scott Cole from California. The settlement was very small therefore I am not satisfied with the result. I was fired in April of 2011, has my statues of limitation expired eventhough this case took most of my time and the result was ridiculous. Do I have to accept the paltry settlement or can I continue the legal course.

Expert:  Law Pro replied 1 year ago.

What does that have to do with being sued individually for an LLC liability?

That's a separate and distinctly different issue from your original question.

You haven't rated my previous answer where I gave you the case law and statutes on the issue.