Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.

Ive been offered an equal share in an LLC partnership with

I've been offered an equal share in an LLC partnership with a couple. I'll be the sole investor of 20K. The couple has no money but they run the business. Is 35% (1/3) a fair share for me, the investor?
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes.

If you are the sole investor, you need to have a percentage that grants you a controlling interest, meaning you have the final say on all decisions made in the LLC, since it is your money. If they are giving you even 1% more interest than either of them have and you have an operating/membership agreement that states you have the controlling interest, then this would be a fair share for you as an investor.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

This is NOT the practice of law nor is it legal advice to you, it is merely educational information for you to use to seek out a licensed attorney in your state to get actual legal advice from them. Please use sites such as or or to find a local attorney to get actual legal advice in all matters.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your answer. It is helpful. But I also need to know as being the sole investor, is 1/3 of the share a fair share for the investor, or should I negotiate for for 40% or more?

Thank you for your response.

1/3 is fair even for a sole investor considering you said they are going to be doing the work. However, my point was that you should not get 33.333% (which is 1/3), you should get at least 34 or 35% which gives you "controlling interest" meaning you have more rights than the other two.