Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco, Attorney
Experience:  Helping you with your legal questions.
68302747

I live in the City of Poughkeepsie, NY. In my section of the

Customer Question

I live in the City of Poughkeepsie, NY. In my section of the street that I live on we have sidewalks that are set back from the curb by enough space that their are trees growing in various locations. One such tree is across the street from my property and overhangs the canopy overhangs the road. My question is, is their an obligation on the part of the party responsible for the tree to ensure that sufficient clearance is available for vehicles travelling on the road? In my case I pulled up alongside of this tree with my RV Travel trailer which struck a rather solid limb that caused damage to the trailer. For bridge type clearance the manufacturer says the height is 11 ft 3 inches. Secondly, given the tree location who would be the responsible party, the city or the adjacent property owner?

Thanks
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Damien Bosco replied 12 months ago.
Hi and welcome! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you. I am happy to help.

It is the obligation of the tree owner. Trees obstructing the pavement or road should have adequate clearance for the safe passage of pedestrians and vehicles. The governmental agency responsible for roads should serve a notice requiring the tree owner to prune their trees to clear the obstruction. So, the responsible party would be the owner of land where the tree is; or if you provided notice to the city and they did nothing to rectify the situation (if they did not inform the tree owner), then the city would be responsible also.

Here is the number to the street division of Poughkeepsie for more information or to report the situation:

Streets Division(NNN) NNN-NNNN

If you need clarification, or want to clarify your question, or have an additional question, please let me know.

Thank you,

Damien
Damien Bosco, Attorney
Experience: Helping you with your legal questions.
Expert:  Damien Bosco replied 11 months ago.
Hi Fred,

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Do you need clarification or have a follow up question? If so, let me know so I can further assist you. My goal is to provide you excellent service.

Thank you!

Damien Bosco
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Was hoping to get my estimate of repair costs soon so that I would have some specifics to take to the city. Should come any day now.

Hi Fred:

Thank you for letting me know. I am happy my answer has helped you. If you need me further, you can always request me by putting my name in front of your new question. Kindly provide a positive rating on this answer so I receive credit for helping you. I am always willing to help.

Best regards,

Damien
Damien Bosco, Attorney
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

will do

Fred:

Thank you!

- Damien
Hi Fred,

I just want to thank you for allowing me to help you with your question. I appreciate the positive rating. I am here to help you in the future also. You can request me by name the next time and I will be notified. Also, you can bookmark my profile and ask me a question that way. Here is the link:

http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-damien-bosco/

Either way, I am always happy to help.

Best Regards!

Damien Bosco