Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
10285032

Are there and is it allowed, attorneys here who can take a

Are there and is it allowed, attorneys here who can take a legal case they first heard about here? Other than the obvious referral services and legal websites to get generic referrals, how best to find attorneys willing to work on contingency for cases....even if a large judgement was assured? How to get my facts out to lawyers in mass?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Michelle-Mod replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry, but because this site is independent and wants to maintain its integrity in providing honest, unbiased information to customers, professionals cannot represent anyone from this site or make personal referrals.

To find a lawyer, please contact your State Bar Association's Legal Referral Service at http://apps.americanbar.org/legalservices/lris/directory/ This is the same place where lawyers themselves go when they need to consult with an attorney from another state.

If you'd like any other information from our legal professionals, please let me know and I will search for one for you. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you! Michelle

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Michell,
Am I to understand that you are with the site? Or are you an attorney answering the first part or my several questions? It's not clear on this side but clearly your reply appears different than others I've seen. So, if you are with the site, note that I was asking several questions including the one you answered. Please post either my original list or if my even asking the pool of lawyers this means I'm violating rules, edit this one part out and allow others to be posted to the pool. Ok?
Expert:  Wendy-Mod replied 1 year ago.

Michelle and I are site moderators and can't answer your questions. We just need to clarify that you are not looking to have one of our professionals represent you as that is against our Terms of Service.

We will gladly search for a professional to help with your other questions though. Thank you for your patience while we continue our search.

Regards,
Wendy
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I am one of the attorney experts here. Michelle properly stated the rules we have to abide by, which are also based on the laws of all of the states, which prevent us from representing anyone from this site or from making personal referrals to our colleagues.

As far as getting your case out there en masse to attorneys in your state, there is really no other way to do this other than by mass email to attorneys in your area. The sites used by other attorneys are http://www.martindale.com or http://www.lexmundi.com or http://www.hg.org to locate attorneys in your area and send them emails about your case.

Alternatively, there is a site called http://www.legalmatch.com, which is a site that allows you to post your case and attorneys who are members who might be interested can see it and choose to contact you. I cannot vouch for how good that site is in getting responses, but it is another resource for you.

As far as contingency fee cases, most cases contrary to popular belief are not taken on a contingency. The main cases taken on a contingency are cases involving personal injury claims where the attorneys can be reasonably assured their client will get paid for pain and suffering damages. Cases involving things like breach of contract where only actual damages can be awarded are not usually taken on contingency fees because they most times do not yield enough for the attorney to recover his expenses, much less payment for their time and services.

I am sorry, I hope this helps point you in the right direction.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you and let me reply to each of your points. Regarding your policies about lawyers and members like me connecting. I do understand and I will abide by your policy. BUT, PLEASE NOTE MY QUESTION. IT ASKED WHAT THE POLICY WAS. I NEVER ATTEMPTED TO BREAK THE POLICY in other words.

YOU ARE TOTALLY CORRECT IN YOUR EXPLANATION REGARDING LAWYERS & CONTINGENCY FEES. I will add more info that I've learned. That is this. What you say ESPECIALLY REFLECTS new, younger attorney. They are spoiled and ruined with the last 20 years being so easy o get rich with inflated, injury cases...and many deserving ones. But, the older attorneys will tell you and one did recently, any civil case worth filing is one where the lawyer should be on contingency. That may be 50% or 20% depending on facts. I have also had lawyers agree to my paying all actual, out of pocket costs PLUS a percentage. That is what I'm hoping for!

Thanks for the website info. Is there a way to get email addresses for all lawyers or many...in Clarksville, Tn or Litigators//Business's Contract Breach types in Nashville, TN? That would be great. I have need for several different attorneys now!
Thank you for your response and understanding. Michelle did properly explain the policy to you and some of the rationale as well. I appreciate you understanding.

If the older attorneys are telling you that, it seems funny they are not willing to take the case on a contingency if they believe it is worth filing and believe in what they are telling you. However, I will disagree with them and this is why: We get many customers of this site and clients alike in our offices who do have valid claims (for example only property damage claims) where they should indeed file a suit and seek to enforce their rights. The problems with those cases is that the actual value of them (and I know you claim your case is potential millions) when all is said and done does not get them enough money to pay for the lawyer's time, much less costs of discovery and depositions that are involved in these cases. We get some people who are mad even in contingency cases when they get a $50,000 or $100,000 judgment and by the time the attorney takes out actual costs and then their contingency fee, the customer is left with less than $15,000 or so for themselves.

If you are agreeing to pay all actual costs out of pocket, this may make your case more attractive to an attorney for a contingency fee case, absolutely, once they assess the actual value of the case.

The email addresses for the lawyers would be on those sites I gave you above, they list the lawyers with their contact information. The TN bar may also be able to provide you with a list of lawyers and their email contacts in the specialty you are seeking.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That older attorney DID take cases, three so far and all on pure contingency. Regarding the low-dollar cases, that's really "apples and oranges." If not big money it would be more ridiculous to pay cash to be represented. Those cases are simply not cases but are instead typical complaints we here every day type thing. Thanks anyway!
Thank you for your response.

You are correct on the low dollar cases, I was merely giving an example and I told you that as well. Best of luck here.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience: All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.