Law Pro, Attorney
Experience:  20 years experience in business law - sole proprietor, partnership, and corporations
11688690

arbitration for $28k in owed services?

i'm a california LLC - a web consulting agency - contracted to a delaware C-corp for some service work. they are unable to come up with the money owed ($28k). services were fully delivered.

there's an arbitration clause (in san francisco) in the contract. what are the pros/cons of exercising the clause? it's a one man show on both sides, so piercability on both sides is a concern.

please call with any questions XXX-XXX-XXXX

I am sorry that I don’t have better news, but please understand that I do have an ethical and professional obligation to provide customers with legally correct answers, even when an answer is not favorable to the customer.

Why do you say "pierceability is a concern on both sides"?

I would take the company to arbitration in San Fransico - asap.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

unsure if my previous reply was added, so i will add again. apologies in advance for any redundancy

----

reasons for piercability question:

- customer is a delaware c-corp, with possibly no money in the company

- what are options for actual recovery (ie $$ in my bank) in case of judgement for me

- do you know avg cost of arbitration for similar case in sf, ca

- can we recover arbitration costs n case of favorable judgement

Thank you for that additional information.

reasons for piercability question:

That does mean that the corporation veil will allowed to be pierced. Parties are allowed to contract - breach of the contract itself does not afford the remedy the court piercing the corporate veil.

The courts will allow the piercing of the corporate veil in extenuating circumstances - when there has been fraud, undercapitalization, not keeping with the formalities of the corporation, commingling of funds, etc.

But just because the corporation breached a contract - the presumption is - that a court won't pierce the corporate veil and hold the owners personally liable.

The rational is - that you knew who you were contracting with OR could have demanded personal guarantees.

The options are tough - that if you get a judgment against the corporation there may not be any asssets to pay you with. The corporation may file bankruptcy which would then discharge any judgment you got against them.

Because it's a simple breach of contract - the arbitration shouldn't take long at all. I would have to say between $2k and $4k.

No, not unless it's in your contract that the prevailing party can recover their legal fees and court costs. Otherwise, in the USA - unless there is some statute saying the prevailing party can recover their attorneys fees and court costs - each party bears their own costs.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which will be helpful to you. If I have not fully addressed your questions or if you have any follow up questions, or if I have misinterpreted your questions in any way, please do not rate me yet, but simply ask a follow up question without rating so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer.. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

If you have any questions, about this or anything else, please ask for me, Law Pro, directly in the question and I will try to assist you as best I can.

For example, you would state, "This question is for Law Pro . . . (then on with your question).

I wish you the best in the future.