Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney
Experience:  30+ yrs. representing small business, real estate, probate

I am preparing to start a business venture and am not sure

I am preparing to start a business venture and am not sure how to go about it. It is a signing service where businesses (banks, lenders, etc) contact us to get documents signed. We contract out to independent contractors who are certified notaries to take care of the signing. Essentially we're "the middle man". I want to be able to serve businesses in this capacity across the united states. Essentially it's a web-based business I will be doing from my home. However I dont know what kind of licensing might be required to do this in other states. I would appreciate any advice on this.

Hello and thanks for submitting this question. Most business services such as yours do not require any state or federal licenses or permits. Whether or not you wish to incorporate, of limit personal liability through an LLC is a decision that you make yourself. No particular business format is mandatory. Use of an assumed business name usually requires filing a simple form with your local county recorder which states who the actual person behind the name is. Also, check into Errors and Omissions insurance just in case one of your agents does something terribly wrong. You're not in the area of retail sales, so no sales tax filings have to be made. You can start it up and when It gets big enough and generates enough money, then get legal and accounting organization done.

I hope that this information is helpful. If not, and you need further information, please do not rate this Answer and just send me a Reply asking for clarification. After that, I hope you will enter a positive rating so that I will be compensated for assisting you. Also, be sure to verify this information with a local attorney who is familiar with your local laws and procedures. Thanks again for using Pearl.Com- Just Answer. Your business is appreciated.