Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  15 years practicing attorney, JD, BA, MBA
19958803

can my seventeen year old son trade his car to an adult without

can my seventeen year old son trade his car to an adult without my permission
Hello and welcome! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.
.
Whose name is XXXXX XXXXX title to the vehicle?
.
What did son receive in return for the vehicle?
.
Does son want to get the vehicle back?
.
.
Thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

my son's name is XXXXX XXXXX title he received a vehicle eight years older and yes, he wants to get the vehicle back

Ok, since he is on the title as the owner, he could legally enter into a contract to trade it away if he wanted to without your knowledge. However, since he is a minor, he has the legal right to void the contract and receive his vehicle back because a minor has that legal right until they become an adult after reaching the majority age of 18..
.
A minor can only avoid a contract during his minority status and only for a reasonable time after he reaches the age of majority. After a reasonable period of time, the contract is deemed to be ratified and cannot be avoided. - See more at: http://contracts.uslegal.com/contract-by-a-minor/#sthash.7XzoLM5l.dpuf
A minor can only avoid a contract during his minority status and only for a reasonable time after he reaches the age of majority. After a reasonable period of time, the contract is deemed to be ratified and cannot be avoided.
.
If the minor still has what he received from the other party, he must return it to the other party upon seeking to avoid the contract. If he does not return the property in such a situation, he cannot avoid the contract. - See more at: http://contracts.uslegal.com/contract-by-a-minor/#sthash.7XzoLM5l.dpuf
So if son wants his car back and the other person won't return it and "unravel" the deal, son would have to sue in small claims court, with you as his guardian, to have a judge formally order the other side to return the car and take theirs back.
.
.
Thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am very satisfied working with you. can you tell me what is considered a reasonable time to get his car back. the adult who has my son's vehicle wants to wait until this weekend to trade back.

Honestly, I think this weekend wouldn't be unreasonable... It would take probably 2-3 weeks to get a small claims suit heard in front of a judge. So I would tell him this weekend at the latest because as of Monday morning, you will be filing suit to void the contract since son is a minor.
.
.
Thanks