Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney
Experience:  30+ yrs. representing small business, real estate, probate
18215332

What are the chances of being sued . I was part of a franchise

What are the chances of being sued . I was part of a franchise in which I was released from I mistakenly said something to another franchisee who could have the same claim as I had the other franchisee called the franchisor and questioned them about the situation the franchisor revealed what happen in my case and never asked were he got his information from two weeks later I confronted my franchisor and he confirmed he had a conversation with the other franchisee I said now that the information was in the public domain how should I handle questions if I was asked way I was no longer part of the franchise the franchisor told me what to say and we confirmed it in e mails I know I was wrong for slipping but know that I know that the franchisor revealed the info without asking were the other franchisee got the information from and and also confirmed that the franchisor had a conversation with the other franchisee and got something in writing what are my chanches of being sued even if the other franchisee says I said something the other franchisee at this point has not bought any legal A toon against the franchisor but you never know if he will chance his mind
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 12 months ago.

Hello and thanks for submitting a new question. From what you say, unless you signed a confidentiality agreement and breached it, I see no liability on your part for disclosing what you did with the franchisor. You only disclosed information that applied to you, so there is no privacy question.

I hope that this information is helpful. If not, and you need further information, please do not rate this Answer and just send me a Reply asking for clarification. After that, I hope you will enter a positive rating so that I will be compensated for assisting you. Also, be sure to verify this information with a local attorney who is familiar with your local laws and procedures. Thanks again for using Pearl.Com- Just Answer. Your business is appreciated.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Well I did sign a confidentialty agreement but as I said no asked the other franchisee were he got the info from
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Did y receive my reply
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
This is all happened a year ago

It's hard to say if the agreement has been violated because I haven't seen it nor do I know what you disclosed. The fact that the franchisor doesn't know where the other franchisee obtained his information is in your favor. The passing of year doesn't matter. The contact statute of limitations in NJ is six years.

Irwin Law, Attorney
Experience: 30+ yrs. representing small business, real estate, probate