J. Warren
J. Warren, Attorney
Experience:  Experience in general business transaction and formation matters.
64316804

Hello! Hows it going? My question is in regards XXXXX XXXXX business

Hello!
How's it going? My question is in regards XXXXX XXXXX business regulations. I know they are different for each county (in every state), but was hoping you had seen this situation in other places & would know what it meant. I have registered my business name in a different state (10 miles from where I live). But I am hoping to move my business to my house. If zoning laws allow me to do this, I need to register my name in my OWN town. I know this part. But on the application for business name registration, there is a section for "building inspection" & "fire inspection". Someone said that they could require fire doors in my home, etc. Do you know much about areas that require home businesses to do this if they have periodic clients to their home? Thank you so much for your response.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  J. Warren replied 1 year ago.
Hello! Thank you for your question today. My goal is to provide you with the information you seek.

Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice; and (2) I will provide you with honest information and not necessarily to tell you what you might be hoping to hear.

Unfortunately there is not was of knowing when a municipality and its fire marshal will decide to be over zealous and make a home based business install fire doors. What you need to be aware of is they have the right to inspect any home business and some point will likely pay you a visit.

The information I have past on to other clients is that even if you have low foot traffic there is a chance your premises will be inspected. The option is to either install fire doors or operate your business at wait and see what happens. Some clients have never seen or heard from the fire marshal, some do. The trend is that the lower volume of clients and the nature of the business the less likely the fire marshal pays a visit, but that just happens to be a trend and is not something anyone can take to the bank.

Also the chance is higher if you are in a residential part of town but most homes are used for commercial business. In otherwords, old homes are converted to business space.

Usually the bigger issue is with the neighbors and an HOA if you are governed by one.

Hope this helps.

Please note that you are asked to rate my courtesy and professionalism, and not whether the answer supports your legal position. I only receive credit when rated 3 or higher. If for any reason you feel that a 2 or 1 rating is appropriate, please first give me the opportunity to address your concerns by clicking the "reply" or “continue conversation” tab.

All states have intricacies in their laws and any information given is simply information only and specifically is not intended to be, nor does it constitute, legal advice. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you so much for your reply! That is exactly the info I was looking for, & an opinion on. And yes, I do realize it is not legal advice, and that it is different in every state, county, & neighborhood even. But I do appreciate your general opinion & past experiences. That really does help me a lot. It's a much better idea of how things work in some/most places than I knew. I am just hoping I won't "get denied" before even explaining my client situation, & that if I did start having increased clients, then it would be time for me to go back to a commercial office. :)

Anyway, just wanted to say thank you for your response before I entered my rating. I didn't think the rating encompassed how helpful I thought you were.

Have an amazing day!

Expert:  J. Warren replied 1 year ago.
Thank you and best of luck with your business venture.
J. Warren, Attorney
Experience: Experience in general business transaction and formation matters.