J. Warren
J. Warren, Attorney
Experience:  Experience in general business transaction and formation matters.
64316804

In the state of Texas, if I register a DBA as (for example)

In the state of Texas, if I register a DBA as (for example) 123abc and my current legal entity name is XXXXX XXXXX LLC, can I then use 123abc in place of 123abc Texas, LLC.

I know at some point I read that if you don't display the LLC you might not have the protection offered by the LLC. Does a DBA change that? If not, to what extent can I use the DBA and when should I use the formal LLC name?

Thanks!
Hello! Thank you for your question today. My goal is to provide you with the information you seek.

Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice; and (2) I will provide you with honest information and not necessarily to tell you what you might be hoping to hear.

The DBA would actually be a sole proprietorship and therefore you would not have the protection as provided by an LLC. However, if the LLC is the registered owner of DBA then the can use the DBA without using its formal LLC name while conducting business. The simplest thing to do is register the DBA with the owner of the the DBA being the LLC.

Here is the link to the Texas Secretary of State for reference: www.sos.state.tx.us/corp/forms/503_boc.pdf

Hope that helps. All my best and encouragement.

Please note that you are asked to rate my courtesy and professionalism, and not whether the answer supports your legal position. I only receive credit when rated 3 or higher. If for any reason you feel that a 2 or 1 rating is appropriate, please first give me the opportunity to address your concerns by clicking the "reply" or “continue conversation” tab.

All states have intricacies in their laws and any information given is simply information only and specifically is not intended to be, nor does it constitute, legal advice. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you.