RGMacEsq
RGMacEsq, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed Texas General Practice Attorney
19487448

I am involved in a civil suit personally and with my business

I am involved in a civil suit personally and with my business in the state of Oklahoma. Is it possible to have both of these cases sealed?

RGMacEsq :

Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am researching your issue and will respond shortly.

RGMacEsq :

Currently, yes, it's possible to have judicial records sealed. It's more often the case that specific records (such as records that reference bank accounts, private matters, etc...) would be sealed, rather than the entire case file. The entire case file can be sealed in situations that involve minors, or trade secret misappropriation, but it would still need to be established that there is a good reason to seal the entire file.

RGMacEsq :

That being said, in Oklahoma a bill was passed by the senate (but not yet law) that significantly limits the discretion of a judge to seal judicial records.

RGMacEsq :

So it's possible that in the future judges will not have that discretion unless the state constitution or a law authorizes or requires the sealing of those records (again, typically in juvenille cases, etc..)

RGMacEsq :

But currently it is possible, and is more likely if both parties can agree to have it sealed as part of a settlement, etc...

Customer:

No minors are involved. So, I understand that it is possible but not a definite that the cases can be sealed if both parties agree or if it is asked as part of a settlement?

RGMacEsq :

That's correct. And most judges will still require some sort of justification (good reason) to seal the case, but that's up to the judge in his/her discretion.

Customer:

ok. Thank you

RGMacEsq :

My pleasure.If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for my answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better). Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX good luck to you!