Loren, Attorney
Experience:  30 years experience representing clients .

If someone wants to sue my corporation either in small claims

If someone wants to sue my corporation either in small claims or civilly, are they required to file the claim in the county where my business resides?
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am JudgeLaw and I will do whatever I can to answer your question and provide you excellent service.

Theoretically, from a jurisdictional standpoint, a corporation can be sued anywhere in the state of incorporation. The proper venue, however, is the county where it is doing business.

So, if you are sued in a county where the corporation is not doing business, but where the court does have jurisdiction, the corporation would need to file a motion for a change of venue.

I hope this is helpful. If you have more follow up questions please let me know. It is never a problem.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX someone has a basic dispute over services, and they are in Florida, they can't make me travel to Florida just to defend the lawsuit, right?

The only exception would be if someone sued you in Federal court, right?

They can only sue you in Florida if your corporation has "minimum contacts" with Florida, i.e. you are doing business in Florida. Then the state's long arm statute may allow them to get jurisdiction to sue you there.

Otherwise, yes, they would need to establish diversity jurisdiction in federal court.

I hope this is helpful to you.

Thank you.

Thank you for your positive rating of my service to you. Let me know if you need more help or have future questions. I will be here for you. Just ask for me by name at the start of your question - "JudgeLaw" or use the following link (which you can bookmark in your browser):

Best wishes and good luck to you.

If it is not too much trouble, when you receive a Customer Satisfaction Survey from JA/Pearl in a day or two, please do rate me highly (9 or 10). It affects my ability to continue to assist you and other customers on JA/Pearl and would be most appreciated.