Elizabeth Prentice
Elizabeth Prentice, Attorney
Experience:  Legal counsel for multitude of businesses; Business Law Professor; Experience as In-House Counsel

Why cant we bring a birthday cake into a restaurant at the National

Why can't we bring a birthday cake into a restaurant at the
National Harbor? I was told it was a law that outside food isn't
allowed by law. Is that true
I am an attorney and I would be happy to assist you. In Maryland it is not illegal; however, it may be against a restaurant owner's policy which they are permitted to enforce in their establishment. Maryland is permitted and required to regulate establishments that serve food for pay. They can not regulate someone’s personal food. It would be up to the management of the food service establishment if they allow customers to bring in their own food and drink in the establishment. However, the public can not prepare food and bring the food to the restaurant to be served to the public. All food served at the restaurant must be from an approved source and available only for consumption of those who brought it in. I would recommend finding a different restaurant that would enjoy your business and wouldn't mind if you brought in your cake!

I hope my answer has assisted you and that you will leave me a positive rating!